zumBrunnen Inc. is a nationally recognized independent and objective construction consulting firm. We leverage the expertise of seasoned construction professionals to control quality and mitigate risk during the acquisition, development, and operation of various construction and real estate enterprises. zumBrunnen serves the following markets: senior living, multi-family, retail, offices, hospitality, healthcare, schools, and churches. Our client base consists of construction lenders, real estate investors, developers, design professionals, contractors, and property owners and managers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Property Condition Assessments – Conduct site inspections and interviews and report to Client on immediate repair needs, construction defects, design defects, ADA and FHA compliance, building envelope integrity, life-safety hazards, recommendations to improve operations, and marketability.
- Capital Replacement Budgets and Reserve Studies – Conduct site visits to interview, evaluate and inventory capital replacement needs; then report to Client on projected replacement cost and remaining useful life of all assets, and make recommendations for improvements. Reports involve a detailed 20-year Capital Replacement Budget.
- Construction Monitoring – Visit construction sites and participate in OAC meetings. Report to Client on construction quality, adherence to design documents, applicable codes, and evaluate construction payment applications, change orders, budget, contingency, and schedule.
- Pre-Closing Document Review – Review and evaluate design documents, construction and design contracts, development and construction budget, environmental and Geotech reports, and other considerations in advance of closing.
Reports include a narrative description of findings, cost estimates and budgets, captioned photographs, and a variety of budgeting reports generated by FacilityForecast®, zumBrunnen proprietary software.
Competency – The Consultant must have a deep and extensive understanding of construction materials, methods, and systems. The Consultant will be expected to draw on prior knowledge and experience to recognize construction problems and to foresee issues before they occur.
Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential. The Consultant must demonstrate mastery of the English language.
Fluency in MS Word and Excel is required. The Consultant must have excellent general computer skills and should be able to navigate the internet efficiently. The Consultant will be expected to learn and master FacilityForecast®, zumBrunnen’s proprietary budgeting software.
Work environment and physical demands – The Consultant will work in zumBrunnen’s Atlanta office, at home, or remotely as negotiated. Attendance at zumBrunnen’s Atlanta office will be required from time to time at the discretion of the President. Aside from office work, the Consultant will spend significant time outside on project sites, where he/she will face a wide range of weather conditions. The Consultant will spend extended hours on foot and will be expected to climb ladders, walk on sloped roofs, and enter crawlspaces and attics.
Position type and expected hours of work – Full time. Work hours are flexible but generally conform to “normal” business hours. The Consultant coordinates their schedule to attend meetings and inspections at times generally set by others. The Consultant’s work hours are largely dependent on their time management skills and on the Company’s workload and will vary from time to time. Nights and weekends may be required depending on workload.
Travel – The Consultant travels locally and nationally by air and automobile. Overnight travel will vary between 5 and 10 nights per month.
Required education and experience – Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, or similar program. A minimum of 10 years of directly related experience is required. Experience as a project manager in commercial construction and a PE License is a plus. A valid driver’s license is required.
Other duties – The qualified candidate should operate with the understanding that maintaining client relationships and developing new relationships is inherently necessary to long-term success. From time to time, the Consultant will be asked to participate in certain sales, marketing, or business development activities. The Consultant will be expected to continually promote zumBrunnen services to our clients, and to our target markets at large.
The job description described here is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
The Consultant is expected to adhere to zumBrunnen’s Core Values:
- Serve with Truth and Objectivity
- Collaborate for Success
- Deliver Expertise
- Exceed Expectations
- Take Responsibility for Your Actions